What is personal property coverage (coverage C) and what does it cover?



Contents Coverage (Coverage C) is the portion of your homeowners insurance policy that covers the cost of replacing your possessions, or home’s contents, in the event that they are destroyed in a covered peril (wind, fire, hail, lightening, theft, etc).


“How much personal property coverage do I need?”


Typically a home insurance policy will provide 50%-70% of your dwelling coverage (coverage A) towards contents/personal belonging coverage. However, you might decide to purchase more depending on the value of the personal belongings in your home. The best way to know how much contents coverage you need is to perform a home inventory. A home inventory is a list of all your personal possessions with a compilation of photos, receipts, and any other proof of ownership you may have. A home inventory serves two important functions. First, it allows you to calculate the value of your possessions to ensure you are purchasing an adequate amount of contents coverage. Secondly, it will be your greatest asset in the event of a disaster when you need to prove to your home insurance company that you owned that flat screen TV and $3,000 leather couch, for example.


Contact us to see if you can save money on your insurance by speaking to a professional independent insurance agent at Journey Insurance.


Let us sift through the hundreds of insurance programs to find you the most competitive rates available.  Let us do the paperwork while you spend your time doing something you actually enjoy!


Journey Insurance Agency * Irvine, California * 888.323.7480


No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *